Save the Date
- St. John’s Barrier Island Trip: 5th Grade Science/Ecology Camp, September 14-16
- Mid-Term reports will be available, online, on September 13! Read more here.
- Disney Fine Arts Trip, September 22-25
- Lower School PTF: Thursday, October 6, at 8:30 am in the Media Center
- Homecoming Game vs. Claxton: Friday, October 7, at the Pooler Stadium
- Grandparents’ Days – November 17 and 18
Meet our Headmaster
- Who is Dr. Chris Harmon? He is an educator and leader whom God brought to us from Texas!
- Where is Dr. Harmon? Everywhere! In the first two weeks of the new school year, he has been in every Lower School classroom and has written a personal message to each member of our staff! He has spoken to 500 mothers and dads at Parent Orientation, taught children as the speaker for the first chapel, and made extemporaneous comments to parents at the first PTF meeting!
- Who joined him in coming to SCPS? His dear wife, Melanie, and their children, Chris, a Senior, and Hannah, a Freshman. With a desire to welcome us to their home, the Harmons invited the Lower School faculty and staff to have lunch with them on a day before school began.
- How do we know he is committed to SCPS and to us? He has learned our names and much about us. He has prayed for us and with us. Beginning this week he is meeting with each employee personally, just to get to know us! Welcome to the SCPS family, Dr. and Mrs. Harmon!
- The majority of our teachers have earned their Master’s degrees! Those who have most recently accomplished this achievement are the following: Mrs. Whitney Eubank, First Grade Teacher: Master in Early Childhood Education with a Reading endorsement, Mrs. Jill Elton, Pre-Kindergarten Teacher: Master in Early Childhood Education and Mrs. Shannon Bateman, Kindergarten Teacher: Master in Education with specializations in Elementary Reading and Literacy. Congratulations, ladies, on a job well done!
- Lower School children have the opportunity to expand their skills and have fun in the After School Activity Program (ASAP). Currently six classes are being offered weekly at 2:45 in the areas of art, soccer, gymnastics, and Lego construction. Learn more by going to scpsasap.weebly.com!
- Spirit Passes were sent home this week to all Lower School students. This pass will get a student into any home game (of any sport). Take care of your pass! If it is lost, a replacement pass may be purchased in the Business Office for $50.
- Boosterthon earnings make a gigantic difference in the lives of our children! This year we had 92% registration and donors from 33 states and 8 other countries! Wishes and needs of teachers include more iPads for small group instruction, document cameras to make learning more relevant, and funds for teachers to use for consumable materials. When pledges have come in we will share the amount that you have made possible! We thank you for your great support!
- Boosterthon incentives have made the Lower School campus a FUN place to be! Crazy hats, crazy socks, popcorn parties, movie days, team jersey day, and more made quite a sight! Fifth graders earned pajama day (even the teachers joined in the merriment) and Miss Crapse’s third grade class had a GLOW party!
- The Parent Teacher Fellowship (PTF) is eager to make a difference for our school. More than 30 mothers and one dad participated in the first meeting of the year! Special thanks to President, Corrie Gee, and her officers, Christina Loucks, Katie Helmly, and Lynne Leftwich for their commitment and great ideas!
Christ in Action
- The Barnabas character quality for August/September is that of being Christ-like. One or more children will be recognized from each class who demonstrate this quality at the chapel on October 7.
What’s Coming Soon?
- The Cheer Clinic, led by Charita Hardy and the Upper School Cheerleaders. It is for children in Pre-K through fifth grade and will take place on Saturday, September 17, from 9:00-12:00 in the Eckburg Center. Participants will cheer for the Homecoming Football Game and the Pep Rally a few days earlier!
- Crazy 8’s – an after school activity that lets students have fun with Math, will begin September 28! Younger students will be taught by Mrs. Olson in Room 65. Students in Grades 3-5 will have Mrs. Chambers returning to be their instructor (Room 107).
- Congratulations to Madeline Campbell for achieving the amazing feat of earning a certificate for 250 Reading Counts points and a t-shirt for reading 1,157,657 words over the summer! Her t-shirt proclaims, “I am a millionaire!”
- The Pre-Kindergarten will go on a fall leaf hunt and do leaf rubbings this week!
- Third grade will begin the computer challenge of XtraMath next week. This program can be accessed both in the classroom and at home. Its use helped children to achieve commendable test scores last year.