6th Grade Band
At Savannah Christian Prep our band program focuses on developing life-long musicians through offering students the opportunities to listen to and play a variety of styles of music. Through the Lower School music program, students are prepared to take advantage of the opportunity to become a part of a Concert Band in 6th grade. Our 6th grade band program focuses on developing the appropriate skills to be part of a Concert Band. Mrs. Jenee Hobgood directs the 6th grader students, preparing them to join the 7th and 8th grade Concert Band.
The SCPS Concert Band is comprised of 7th–12th grade students who have prior experience playing a wind or percussion instrument. The Concert Band meets one class period each day and performs three concerts per year, including the Large Group Performance Evaluation administered by the Georgia Music Educators Association. Students in this ensemble are eligible to audition for the District Honor Band and the Georgia All-State Band.
- 2010—Gold Rating (1st Place) Orlando Heritage Music Festival
- 2011—Silver Rating (2nd Place) Southern Star Music Festival (Atlanta)
- 2012—Silver Rating (2nd Place) Orlando Heritage Music Festival
- GMEA District I Large Group Performance Evaluation:
The SCPS Concert Band is the only Savannah private school competing in the GMEA Large Group Performance Evaluation.
- 2008—II Performance, I Sight Reading
- 2009—I Performance, I Sight Reading
- 2010—II Performance, I Sight Reading
- 2011—I Performance, I Sight Reading
- 2012—I Performance, II Sight Reading
- 2013—II Performance, I Sight Reading
- 2014—I Performance, I Sight Reading
- 2015—I Performance, I Sight Reading
The SCPS Jazz Band is comprised of selected Upper School and Middle School students. This group meets after school throughout the year and performs at several events including SCPS band concerts, Super Saturday, and local community events. Their repertoire includes swing, Latin, and funk rock tunes. Students in this ensemble are eligible to audition for the Georgia All-State Jazz Band.
The Raider Marching Band is a group of 8th–12th grade band and color guard members who prepare an original field show each fall season to be performed at football games and band competitions. The Raider Marching Band also participates in Savannah’s River Street Christmas Parade. They attend the SCPS marching band camp prior to the start of the school year and practice three days per week during the fall semester. Students may earn a Varsity letter through participation in this ensemble.
The SCPS Marching Band is the only competition level private school marching band in the Savannah & tri-county area.
The Marching Band earned the following award in competition:
- 2014 – Coastal Empire Classic – performing Phantom of the Opera, overall superior rating
- 2015 – Coastal Empire Classic – performing Nocturnal requiem, overall superior rating
- 2015 – East Georgia Marching Band Championship, performing Nocturnal Requium, overall excellent rating
(also earned the following awards in Class A: Best Band, Best Color Guard, Best Music & visual, Best Overall Effect)
Music Appreciation classes and Music History classes are offered for Upper School students who desire to explore the world of music, its history and its sounds.